Thursday, December 10, 2009

Healing Yourself

I'm totally into the practice of healing myself with my thoughts. I sort of figured it out a long time ago, many years before I ever heard it called by any name. When I was a busy kid in junior high school, I remember declaring that I didn't have time for a cold and noticed that it went away within hours. It happened again, and after a few times it was my accepted practice to will away colds and even the flu. Later in life, I felt sneaky for letting myself suffer a full blown cold just so I could get some time to myself. I didn't know why I was able to do this, but it was obvious that I was in control of something that everyone else felt victimized by.

The first book I read along that line of thinking was a diet book called The Only Diet There Is, by Sondra Ray. My cousin sent it to me back in the mid 1980's and I thought it sounded true, but it was a little over my head, or it just wasn't the right time in my life for accepting that my physical body, my size and shape, could be altered by my mind using love intentions.
I didn't really get it until I read You Can Heal Your Body by Louise Hay. That book was given to me also, this time by a well known Wise Woman who lived in a cabin on a mountain top in Pennsylvania with her Abyssinian cats and her books and her spirit guides. A friend found out about her and somehow got us an audience with her. Before I left my house, I was compelled to put a polished rock in my pocket, one of a set of twin museum quality moss agates I'd purchased from an estate collection. We drove and drove, winding and winding our way to her cabin. When we got there, she didn't have a lot to say. We talked about her beautiful cats, we discussed the dawning of an elevation in consciousness, we touched on the subject of animal signs and other signals from the universe. I guess, since we had somehow been allowed to visit her, she must have thought we were as enlightened as she was. Who knows? I guess I was kind of expecting to be handed a metaphysical key or something - a secret.
At one point in the visit I reached in my pocket and felt the stone. It was warm, as though it had life in it, and I suddenly had the urge to take it out and hand it to this woman. I felt awkward, like a kid shyly handing an apple to his teacher. I didn't know what to say, so I just said, "I think I brought this for you." She took it, graciously, and nodded her head and said "Yes, thank you. I believe you did." It was like she knew already - like she had a prophecy or even manifested it. Before I left, she handed me the book by Louise Hay and that was the start of a major shift in my consciousness.
In the past few years, I've read You'll See It When You Believe It by Wayne Dyer and The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, and I just kept thinking, well, it's that same concept that Louise Hay and Sondra Ray wrote about except with a focus on getting something. Everyone seems to have a slightly different focus. Eckhart Tolle (A New Earth) talks briefly about playing with the creation or manifestation of form, but seems to indicate that peace and awareness should be the real focus of ones effort.

When I purchased Ageless Body, Timeless Mind by Deepak Chopra a few years ago, I was excited to see a real medical physician giving accounts of how the mind controls the body. When I first started reading about metaphysical healing, it was something you didn't talk about with just everyone. I didn't savor the idea of being viewed as a nutcase back in then, and I still don't. (The subject of Metaphysical Healing can bring out judgment in the nicest people. Oh, those raised eyebrows.) But Dr. Chopra made it possible to talk about metaphysical healing more openly. He is a brave soul for blazing that trail. Of course there are a multitude of books out there now. I recommend Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul, by Dr. Chopra.

You really can heal your own body and get off the medical merry-go-round if you want to. Even if you're skeptical, it's worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. It is truly amazing at the connection between the body & the mind. I appreciate your insights & experiences.

    Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete